It’s Penguin Days presented by Highland Capital Management at the Dallas Zoo! In honor of this cool $8 deal, we’d like to introduce you to 8 very special birds. The members of our African penguin flock at the Don Glendenning Penguin Cove are pair-bonded, which means they sleep, eat and play together, and a few of them are also breeding pairs. Basically they’re bffs, which we think is pretty sweet.
African penguins are endangered, but YOU can make a big difference at home. Two of the major threats facing penguins are pollution and over-fishing. Here are a few easy ways you can help:
- Reduce your plastic use to keep it out of oceans
- Say no to plastic straws
- Use reusable canvas bags instead of plastic ones
- Always buy sustainably raised of caught seafood.
- Download the Seafood Watch app to easily tell the difference!
- Born: December 21, 2016
- Opus is our baby! At just two years old, this curious boy loves to be part of the action. He’s constantly running around playing and just being a rambunctious toddler.
- Born: April 15, 2015
- Marina is the introverted, artistic type. She’s shy, sweet and loves to paint! You can pick up one of her masterpieces in the Zoofari pop-up tent by the front gates. Proceeds benefit enrichment items for our animals.
- Born: November 2, 1992
- The oldest member of the flock, Splash is our feisty mother “hen.” When Splash has eggs or chicks to raise, she will defend them fiercely. She’s definitely mom goals, that’s for sure.
- Born: September 2, 1997
- Klondike is a loving, dedicated dad and loyal to his mate, Splash! He loves her more than anything.
- Born: April 9, 2011
- Pickles is the social butterfly of the bunch. You’ve probably seen him greeting you at the viewing window at the Penguin Cove. He loves company and interaction! And he just hates to be without his mate, Althea.
- Born: March 21, 2011
- This girl is sassy and fearless! Althea is usually the first penguin to investigate new things – whether it’s a new food item, or training activity, she’s the bold one who leads the way.
- Born: May 7, 2015
- Charlee is another feisty lady – with a big appetite! She definitely loves meal time, and her keepers love to watch her fun personality.
- Born: January 1, 2011
- Tazo is the flock sweetheart. He’s one laid-back guy and a smart cookie too! He loves to participate in training and usually picks up new behaviors lightning fast.
Be sure to stop by Penguin Cove on your next visit! Plus, during the month of January, celebrate Penguin Days with some extra fun activities. Click HERE to learn more.