AUGUST 13 IS DOLLAR DAY AT THE ZOO
It’s that time of year again at the Zoo—Dollar Day! This annual summer day is our way of giving back and saying “thank you” to our amazing community that supports us year-round. While Dollar Day is one of the most exciting days at the Zoo, it’s also one of the busiest. So here are a few tips to help you make the most of your Zoo day:
- GET HERE EARLY. Parking lots open at 7 a.m. and gates at 9 a.m., but lines will begin forming at the entrances well before that.
- TAKE THE DART RED LINE RIGHT TO OUR DOOR. Parking is limited, and with the attendance we expect on Dollar Day, public transportation is such a great alternative to driving personal vehicles.
- Or consider ride shares like Uber or Lyft to avoid parking.
- COME WITH A PLAN. Take a look at a map of the Zoo before you come and figure out your plan for the day. Consider which half of the Zoo you want to visit first: Wilds of Africa (hippos, giraffes, elephants, lions, Gorilla Trail) or ZooNorth (Children’s Zoo, reptiles, tiger, monkeys, otters, etc.). Also consider which special events you want to catch. We have keeper chats throughout the day, as well as the 20-minute, interactive DinoSOAR wildlife show and our popular Cheetah Encounter.
- Also consider snacks! You are welcome to bring your own (Glass items, alcoholic beverages and single-use disposable straws are not permitted. Also keep in mind that we do not have facilities available for food or cooler storage.) We’ll have $1 dollar deals on select snacks, including hot dogs and chips, as well as canned water.
- PREPARE FOR THE WEATHER. The forecast calls for sun, with temps that will feel like over 100 degrees. Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen and stay hydrated throughout the day!
- PACK YOUR PATIENCE. The Zoo is going to be crowded. This day is always one of our busiest. Please be patient if you encounter lines and please be kind to Zoo staff as well as our other guests.
- SPEAK UP IF YOU NEED HELP. If you have a question, problem, or just need directions, please find a uniformed staffer and ask for help. We’re here to make sure you have the best experience!
Sponsored by Sprint, Dollar Day is going to be a busy day full of fun. We can’t wait to see you here!